MIG Recovery and Viewer Utility (Vista/7 – USMT4 USMT3)

Lately I’ve been toying with MIG (Windows Migration Backup) files and I’ve found no helpful viewer programs for looking inside. Fortunately there is a utility, MigRecover.exe, floating around. Unfortunately I don’t know the original developer of this software to give proper credit to, though it is likely developed by Microsoft. This utility has been quite handy for me, and I was looking to create a Viewer so I could look inside MIG files faster. Eventually I decided to pop in extra commands to allow for extracting the data as well. Please note, this is merely a wrapper for this handy utility! The utility is built into my program so you will not need MigRecover.exe.

MigRecover Interface 0.5

I figured, while currently its incomplete and full of bugs, it still may be better for some people than the command line at the moment. To extract, the only way at the moment is to right click on directory (single file extraction incomplete) and click Extract To…

Will work on this in my spare moments depending if this would be a utility that would actually provide help for the online community. All credit to the original developer!

Mike Morawski’s MigViewer Utility 0.1 (alpha) – (Download 2.6mb – Jan 17 2011 – screenshot)
Mike Morawski’s MigViewer Utility 0.2 (alpha) – (Download 2.6mb – Jan 18 2011 – screenshot)
Mike Morawski’s MigViewer Utility 0.3 – (Download 2.6mb – Apr 7 2011 – screenshot)
Mike Morawski’s MigViewer Utility 0.4 – (Download 5.5mb – Aug 26 2011- screenshot)
Mike Morawski’s MigViewer Utility 0.5 – (Download 5.5mb – Feb 11 2013- screenshot)
Note: This program requires Windows Vista/7 and cannot be adjusted for XP. Testing is minimal, please report any bugs or issues!

Feb 11 2012- 0.5 Released

• Applied patch for bug which should help those getting error trying to open file dialog select prompt.
  • Sorting fixed on right side file view. Now alphabetical grouped by files/folders.
  • Selecting individual files and folders on the right file view now allows for extraction as opposed to only being able to extract directories from the left.
  • Folders can be navigated into from the right hand side
  • Highlighted current directory when folder tree loses focus

Aug 26 2011 – 0.4 Released

• Add more verbose console messages, console messages will not repeat
  • Added MigRecover capability for USMT v3 files
  • Added detection to warn user if file may be USMT3 (though not 100% as there is no concrete way)

Apr 4 2011 – 0.3 Released

• Added lots of debugging code for future problems
  • Added console window for visible end user tracing of logs and errors
  • Added ability to open encrypted MIG files
  • Allow for all file extensions in open dialog
  • Several bug fixes
  • Deletes temporary files after use
  • Allowed for code to continue on minor errors in some places
  • Disabled interface when waiting for file extraction and opening of MIG

Jan 18 2011 – 0.2 Released

• Fixed fatal bug upon loading MIG
  • Improved form design
  • Listed folders in right hand side
  • Bugfixes
  • Debugging alerts on failure

Todo:

• Extraction file queue/progress
  • Ability to cancel opening or extraction of MIG files
  • Extra Debug Info and Testing
  • Look into any hacks to get this working on XP.
  • Possible bug: Missing files on extraction containing international characters

Notes:

• If you are getting a LARGE AMOUNT OF NUMBERS LISTED when trying to open a MIG file you have a VERSION 3 Mig file. There is now functionality to do this via the USMT3 Extractor menu.

Other:

I was curious on how data recovery would work starting from scratch. While I have most of the needed knowledge down to complete an extraction tool, it appears that the utility my GUI is based off of appears to work on a similar premise. In any case, below is a download of a rough experiment which was stripped down to just finding file names. May be helpful to someone for some reason so I may as well post it here. This merely reads data however I must say if the data is important back it up first, even if it is corrupted to begin with!

MiG Recovery Experiment

93 Responses to “MIG Recovery and Viewer Utility (Vista/7 – USMT4 USMT3)”

1. Bill says:

OK, it had C: and all the folders under it. Looked very hopeful.

Then, at the end were Structure with an X before it.
    Then, unknown(1) and Unknown(2) both with Check marks before them.
    When clicked the last three had no folders.

So, when I tried to see what was in the folders under C:, they all had big Xs before them.

My PC is the same; it’s a 64Bit AMD dual core processor. XP saving it off and Win 7 trying to reload it.
    All the music files I lost are in the structure under C:, but…

Would your wrapper work on just one of the MIG files, I wonder. If I renamed each file as a MIG?

2. Administrator says:

>My PC is the same; it’s a 64Bit AMD dual core processor

To clarify, I was talking about the operating system. In the odd chance you went from Windows XP x64 to Windows 7 x32 — may be the case. To see what windows you are using hit WINDOWS KEY (next to ctrl) and PAUSE/BREAK KEY (upper right on keyboard, often right of F12) at the same time. It should say “System Type” listing as 32 or 64 bit with a window that comes up.

Renaming each file I have doubts about, but it can’t hurt to try.

3. James - AKA Prorated says:

I need to know if its possible to receive the source code for the vb.net applications?

4. Administrator says:

Hi James,

Yes that is possible, why is it needed? Usually I upload the source along with most programs but I didn’t figure anyone would want to change much more on this one.

Mike

5. MIG Tester says:

Hi Mike,

Do you have a beta version developed that will allow me to browse a MIG file and extract a single file? I know its on your TODO list, and would be interested to see where that stands.

Thank you very much.

6. Bill says:

OK! I see. Both old and new are 32 bit OS. Thank you for the effort.

7. Fred says:

Thanks a lot Mike, you saved my time !!!

8. Administrator says:

@MIG Tester

Pretty much on complete hold on this, sorry. No idea when free time will come by just yet. Still on my to-do list however.

@Fred: Thanks!

9. Peachman says:

Hello Mike,

great tool :-).

When i create a .mig file in PE mode and “save” it on a share, i can’t read the content. If i do the same “online” everything is fine …. . There’s no encryption activated. Have you any idea ???
    Thanks a lot.

10. dash says:

Thanks Mike and the unknown developer

11. boisgle says:

This is a tool that all admins should have. This is going to save so much time for my company.

12. curt says:

hello mike i am a computer technitian trying to recover a customers files via their .mig file, i have come across your forum here and am excited to try out this tool. i downloaded your latest version (4) and extracted to the c drive i open your tool and go to open my customers .mig file and then your program comes up with an error saing oppen file dialog crash system.invalid , and so on. my question is, am i doing something wrong or does this software not fully work at version 4 yet?

curt

13. Administrator says:

Hi Curt,

I have little information on the software my program wraps around. I would try using the Migrecover tool (command line based) and seeing if it works there. If it works there then please let me know as my tool is to blame, otherwise there is not much that can be done.

14. Nripen says:

Thanks, your software helped me recover a very important file!

15. Geat tool ! At least it worked for me ! You saved me quite some time. Thanks !

16. James BM says:

I had the same problem like curt’s in version 0.4 and 0.3 when trying to File->open it crash with message:
    OpenFileDialog Crash: system.InvalidOperationException: The file “C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\USMT.IMG” is not a valid filename

17. Tom says:

Hello,

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this! Found a random mig file on one of my usb drives and couldn’t remember what it was. Saved me a lot of time.

18. andrew says:

Hi,

I downloaded the program, becuase i forgot my easy transfer password. I am able to see the files, and transfer them into my computer, but every file says “Corrupt”. What should i do?

19. jf says:

Hi
    I am in the same position as you Andrew… I will dig up some more
    Let me know if anyone finds something.

20. Ray Cooke says:

You are a gentleman and a scholar my friend. It has extracted all files (numbered) but then suggested I run the USMT tool..irt is running right now but I have more cinfidence I will get sone where, Thanks and I’ll keep it posted

21. Tim Pullen says:

Thank you for a great package. Its helped me so much.

22. Sammy says:

it finds my files except from them with greek charcters in the filename. Problem with greek language or coincidence?

23. Administrator says:

I’ve never tested for this. It may more than likely be the programming not working right with my program. I will keep this in mind the next time I can get around to an update.

24. Bill Adams says:

I have a .mig file that I made today and being a total bonehead I forgot the password. Do you know of any way to recover the data or crack the password?

25. Mike Johnstone says:

Awesome tool, will come in handy. Some have noted that if the mig is encrypted, that you require the key/password to recovery the data. Is there any way around that with this tool? I can open and extract an encrypted mig, but all the files are labeled as corrupt.

26. Bluforce says:

Worked like a charm. Thanks for taking the time to create the gui wrapper!

27. John says:

Thank you very much for your software, I really appreciate it.

28. Thomas Ehler says:

Hi Mike

For quite many years now I’ve built a GUI for USMT. Starting of when the XP “Transfer files and Settings” program came, complete with a confusing multi-step Gui, “transfer cables”, mig files that could not be opened on the destination PC etc.

I figured out that if wrapped a GUI, with the correct USMT, much of the confusion and errors could be avoided. Also it would be easier utilizing some of the more advanced domain migration features etc.

I’ve just recently stumbled over your MIG Viewer (it does work well on USMT5 .MIG files as well. Even compressed ones!)

What I would like to ask; Would it be OK if I link, from my homepage and App, to your program?

Kind Regards
    Thomas Ehler

29. Tim Pullen says:

Hell Yes. We would love to have your GUI.

Thanks

30. Thomas Ehler says:

Hi Tim
    You’re wellcome ;-)

31. Ellen says:

Thanks! Your software was a big help.

32. Administrator says:

Thomas, no problems here so long as the program links here so it is this host that distributes the program.

Cheers!
    Mike

33. thomas Ehler says:

Hi Mike

THX

Hereby done! Right on the frontpage ;-)

Regards
    Thomas

34. Frank Bradshaw says:

I cannot thank you enough for this piece of software. I was working on upgrading a computer and used the WET app to backup a friend of mines files. Well his computer took a crap….I can at least e-mail him the important files

35. Brandon says:

How long does it usually take to open a 4.5gb MIG file and what directory does the program use for temp files? I closed it a couple times after waiting 30 minutes, but it hasn’t cleared the space it was using while extracting. Thanks.

36. Firoz says:

Awesome concept, Mike. I was in the middle of nowhere before finding this page. You erased all my worries in 2 minutes. Thanks a lot!!

37. Cecilia says:

You have saved me!!! I could not for anything get the Migrecover to work in the command line promp, it kept saying that it was not a valid executable command but once I had your nice “wrapped” Gui for the program, I was able to recover the most important files I need from an unable to open WET .mig file, Thank you so very much…I will not be using Windows Easy Transfer again!

38. Eric says:

I am trying to open a 320 GB .mig file, but the Viewer stops working almost immediately when I clcik “open” on the file.

For your info, here are the error details. They don’t mean much to me, but hopefully they can help you!

Description:

Problem Signature 07: 3adb
    Problem Signature 08: 395
    Problem Signature 09: System.ComponentModel.Win32
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

39. michael says:

I have downloaded the MigViewer 0.5 and I am in the MigRecover Interface. I have opened the encrypted files and on the left are green checks and numbers. To the right under the File name it is blank. How do I get it to list the file names so I can re-install a specific file? Thanks

40. michele says:

Is there a repair/recovery tool for files that are “X”‘d out in red when using the MIG Interface? When i export any files from the interface they are all corrupt.

41. Jerry says:

Dear Admin – great tool here. Thanks so much!
    A question for you – when I ran it on my .mig file, it only extracted 24% and stopped. Then it said results successfully loaded from inner program. After reviewing the file structure, it’s clear that there are things still missing. Does this mean the .mig file is corrupt somehow? Do you have any other suggestions for recovering the rest?

42. Hi, I do not seem to get access to my Windows Easy Transfer file, for nothing shows up. The file is 45 GB, divided into 11 separate MIG files. All I need is the contacts file that is missing from Outlook. Thanks in advance! Ron dW

43. BrownMike From Mobile says:

You have created a fantastic program. You should charge for this viewer.
    Please keep up your good work….. Thanks, BrownMike from Mobile